61 - The Funny Side of Language


You find so many languages in the world that some words in some language translate into quite different in another language.  Many times, it brings a smile to our faces when we hear of them.  Although if a proper research is done into this, one can earn himself/herself a PhD on this subject alone!!

During my trip to Indonesia, I had learnt a couple of words that were an enjoyment to me and I am sure will bring smile to your faces too!!  Kindly note that all of the instances have been conveyed in a manner to entertain and may not have happened in reality😊😊

While boarding the Thai Airways flight to Indonesia, I was listening to songs on my mobile through the headset.  So, I did not hear anyone till I sat on my designated seat.  Once seated, I removed the headset and wanted to know what movies they were showing during the trip.  I then started hearing “Swati Kha”, “Swati Kha” quite a number of times. I thought maybe there is a kid in the front of the plane named Swati who is not willing to eat and her mother was forcing her to eat!!

Since I was travelling in the business class, one air-hostess came to me with folded hands and said “Swati Kha, What would you like to have?”.  I said I am not Swati and she may be sitting in the front row!!  She then said Swati Kha is like namaste in Hindi😊.  I could only smile and then say Swati Kha to her too!!

During my stay with my brother in a hospital in Jakarta, I saw a glass with the word “Susu” written on it.  My brother was supposed to drink it.  Since the container was not see-through and had a cover on top, I could not see what the liquid was. I thought, maybe our ex-Prime Minister, Mr Morarji Desai would have visited Jakarta earlier and would have advised some people there of the qualities of urine for better health.  Imagine my surprise when the liquid turned out to be “milk”.  Yeah, milk is called susu in Bahasa, the Indonesian language😊

After my brother came home from hospital, his office people came to see him at home.  While sending them off at the door, one person told me “Teri Maa Kaasi (spelt Terima Kasih)”.  I told them no, her name is not Kaasi and she has not gone there now.  After some time, the next person who went also said the same thing to me.  I was getting perplexed and angry.  When the third person, who was leaving later, also said the same thing to me, I said “Meri Maa Kaasi tho Teri Maa Raameshwaram”😊😊.  That guy got confused.  Luckily my brother also came to the door that time and told me that Terimah Kaasi means Thank You in Bahasa😊

So, guys, before visiting any place outside India, make sure you learn a couple of greeting words in that language.  It may save you some embarrassment later😊!

Cheers!!

Today’s Daffy Definition

Hotel – A tourist resort from where people carry with them soaps, towels, knives and forks as mementos!!

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Blog Beginning!!

167. Ramanarayanam Temple, Vizianagaram

1 WhatsAppa Mantras