50 - The Self-Inflicted Accident


On 9th February this year, I was as usual going on my scooter with my wife to drop her to her office-bus stand.  I had just gone some 50 meters from my home and had reached a turn in my colony.  When I presses the brake on the scooter, I think, the back portion of the scooter went up the air and I got flung, face-down on the road. Thanks to the helmet that I was wearing, I escaped just with some nose injury and some loss of blood from my nose.  But my right knee hit the road hard.  My wife was also thrown out and she suffered abrasions at her hands and legs. 

Just as a precaution, we both went to the hospital with a neighbor’s driver in our car since I was not even in a state of walking properly.  She was declared ok and I was advised an X-Ray, just in case.  I had pain in the right knee and agreed to the X-Ray.  The X-Ray showed that the ligament had torn off in my knee and it had also taken out a small portion of my bone along with it.  The Doctor asked me to get an MRI done to confirm the damage and the next course of action.  Once the MRI came, he said operation is required to screw in the broken piece of bone to its original place.  He said otherwise there might be problem in future.

We came back home and decided to go for a second opinion in another hospital, the next day.  That doctor also looked at the reports and concluded that operation is indeed required.  On 12th February, I called the first hospital, which is quite near my house, and confirmed my readiness for the operation.  I was told to get some tests done and report to the hospital the next day for admission.  I got operated on 13th February and got discharged the next day.  I now am a proud possessor of a small screw in my knee.  Now if someone says that I have a screw loose, I may panic and hope that the screw in the knee had not gotten loose😊 

I was advised to put a “cricket pad” kind of thing on my right leg and was asked to keep the leg straight for the next 6 weeks, with the “cricket pad” on.  For the next few days, it was both a good and bad experience.  Bad in the sense, that I could not sleep properly as whenever I moved my leg, there would be a slight pain and the sleep would wear off.  Spent quite a few nights without sleep and compensating it the next day during daytime by sleeping in the recliner where I could keep the leg in only one position.  This was much better than sleeping on the bed and having to turn sideways every few minutes.

Good experience being that the food came to where I sat, courtesy my loving family, and I was also washing my hands after eating, sitting on the recliner.  I was advised by one of my friends not to overeat as I was just going to by lying around and eating, due to which I may put on weight.  So, I reduced my intake and am happy to state that I am still at the same weight I was before I fell from the scooter!!

On my birthday, my uncle called me and wished me.  When he asked me, what is the program for that day, I said “whole day I am going to spend in bed” 😊😊.  He became embarrassed and gave the phone to my aunt.  When my aunt asked for the details, I told her that since I got operated 2 days back, I am advised complete bed rest😊!!

I will cover the Coping part in the next blog!!  Cheers!!

Today’s Daffy Definition

Flirting – Attention without intention!!

PS – This is my 50th Blog!!  A big ton of thanks to all of you guys/gals who have regularly read it and commented on it too!!  Keep them coming!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Blog Beginning!!

167. Ramanarayanam Temple, Vizianagaram

1 WhatsAppa Mantras