68 - Hindi version of Foreign Movies


I am a movie buff.  That is to say that I watch a lot of movies.  May be 3-4 movies a week😊😊.  Sometimes it may even stretch to about 5-6 a week!!  I remember during my college days, when there was a Mystery week at the Chanakya theatre in Delhi where they were showing all mystery movies throughout the week.  Chanakya was famous for only English movies during those times.  I was able to watch 5 movies in 5 days during my college days, of course while bunking the college😊.  Saturday and Sunday, being holidays, there was no college!!! Otherwise I would have seen 7 movies for 7 days straight!!

Now coming to the topic, in recent times, there were 2 movies that have been adapted brilliantly in Hindi and Tamil/Telugu versions.  The first movie is Badla, which is a scene-to-scene copy of a Spanish film called Contratiempo (The Invisible Guest, made in 2016) and the second movie is Thozha (Tamil)/Oopiri(Telugu) which was a remake of the French film, The Intouchables (made in 2011).

Coming to Badla first, I saw the Hindi version first and was super-awed by the film and the film’s characters.  Without giving out any details of the film so as to mention any spoilers, I was simply amazed by the characters and the story that they weaved.  Some of the scenes are repeated in the movie to show the other character’s version of the understanding of the scene.  I was so awed by the movie that I thought I should see the original also to see how people have enacted the scenes in the original movie.  Contratiempo, the original movie (I saw with subtitles) was spell-binding.  Even though I knew how it was going to end, I was simply caught up in the story.  And trust me, the original is way beyond the Hindi version!!  Except the Mahabharata connection (the stories of Mahabharata) that is made in Badla, every scene is just a copy-and-paste of the scenes in the original film!!  Even though I liked Badla when I first saw it, having seen Contratiempo, has relegated it to the 2nd position when compared with Contratiempo.  When you see the film, you will understand as to why the shooting had to be done in Europe😊 and not in any part of India!!  In case you are able to, see Contratiempo also after watching Badla.  In the original movie, the Amitabh character is a Female and Taapsee’s character is a Male.  Also Amrita Singh’s character is a Male.  Rest of the story is a frame-by-frame copy!!

Now for Thozha. A movie starring Nagarjuna and Karthi.  I came to know about the movie when one of the song scenes was being shot in the Hyderabad Yacht Club in Hyderabad.  Since, that time, my daughter was learning Sailing, I was aware that Nagarjuna and Karthi were going to be there in the Club for the shoot.  During the shoot-break, Karthi was kind enough to pose for this photo with my daughter and my brother’s daughter.  Nagarjuna’s bodyguard shooed me away

At that point only I came to know that this is a remake of The Intouchables movie.  After a few days, I watched the Intouchables, which was a different-kind-of-friendship between a black person and a white person.  The white person cannot move any of his body part, below his neck and the black person is hired as his helper.  This is actually based on a true story.  The movie was very good and I liked it very much.  Later when Thozha released, I saw it too.  It was an official remake but the story was changed to cater to Indian tastes.  I liked Thozha also to the same extent as Intouchables.  Both were cleverly made and the actors’ performance in both the movies were too good.

The reason for this blog was to highlight the fact that without these remakes we would never have come across these gems of movies being made in foreign languages.  Thanks to the people who look out for these films and bring it to us in a language that we can understand!!  Thozha did a good business and Badla too is doing a good business.

You can either go for a scene-to-scene copy of the film, if the foreign film is so good, or you can adapt the story to fit-in with what the conditions are in India.  Either way, if the content is good enough, the film will be a success!! 

Cheers!!  

Today’s Daffy Definition

Prisoner – A person who doesn’t mind being interrupted in the middle of a sentence!!

              PS – Next couple of blogs would be on the best film ever made in India, according to me 😊😊

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Blog Beginning!!

167. Ramanarayanam Temple, Vizianagaram

1 WhatsAppa Mantras