78. Return to Delhi



It has been more than 19 years since I shifted to Hyderabad from Delhi.  Even though I have been visiting Delhi over the past years, for a day or two, at the most; this time my stay is in Delhi for some 17 days!! And this blog is being written from Delhi!!

It all started with my daughter opting for a course to be taken in Delhi.  After looking at places to stay, I finally decided to stay at my father’ brother’s place which was very near to my old flat in Delhi.  The flat is kept locked as they are not living there.  However, their neighbor had kept the flat in livable condition.  Except a TV and fridge, the house had everything. 

Before coming to Delhi, I had searched on internet and had shortlisted some 14 items from the “list of 50 places to eat when you are in Delhi”!!  Even though I am yet to sample even 1 place in the last week, I have been able to indulge in some of my own childhood food treats!!  These include, till now, Gol Gappas and not Paani Puris as it is called in Hyderabad😊. And it is Sooji Gol Gappas and not the Atta ones that are more consumed in Hyderabad!!  Aalu Chaat, which is Aalu cut into large pieces and mixed with masala to eat, and not samosa or tiki mixed with choley as it is served in Hyderabad😊.  I also chanced upon the restaurant Nirulas’ which I couldn’t find in my earlier trips.  The Veg Thali, which I could eat every day earlier, if it was left to me, came a cropper this time around!!  Apparently, the restaurant has changed hands and maybe they have shifted to a new recipe!!  I am yet to try the ice creams that they had to offer with the same names as I knew them in childhood – 21 Love, Almond Praline, Jamoca Almond Fudge, Manhattan Mania and so on!!  Will be tasting some before it is time to head to Hyderabad!!

     
                          Rajma Rice                               Create Your Own Sundae                                              Aalu Chaat

Nirulas also had an All American Banana Split ice cream which was very popular with me😊!! It was an ice cream Sundae with one scoop of Vanilla, Strawberry and Chocolate ice creams.  These scoops will be laid on a banana which was cut vertically and kept in a boat-shaped container.  On top of this, various dry fruits and syrups were added.  Last time when I was in Delhi, I found the same combination in Bikanerwala!!  There I could make my own Sundae!!  This time, instead of Banana, the ice cream guy put apples which were thinly cut and kept at the sides.  And any 3 ice cream flavors that I wanted and topped with assorted nuts and syrups and toppings!!  Having already tasted it once this time, so far. I plan to have a go at it, at least 3-4 times more, before leaving Delhi!!

My usual breakfast is at a Dhaabaa in Kailash Colony, where my daughter goes to a school for her course.  Since she gets breakfast there, I have my big-sized Aalu-parantha there.  And trust me, you don’t get Aalu paranthas like this in any part of South India.  My afternoon lunch is also at the same Dhaabaa, with Chole-Rice or Rajma-Rice or some curry and tandoori rotis.  Since my daughter is interested in having only Curd-Rice, I buy a pack of Curd from Mother Diary (the loveliest Curd you can ever get) and ask the dhaabaa guy to keep it in his fridge so that it is cold enough to eat in the afternoon.





                                                       School Friends                                                          Aalu Parantha

I also got in touch with 2 of my college friends with whom I would be meeting next week.  Yesterday I had dinner with 11 of my school friends!  Even though I had met a couple of them earlier, some of them I was meeting after 32 years!!  Had a wonderful time with them reminiscing on our school days!! I was happy that they could come even though I wasn’t in touch with them since a long time!!

Since this is a month of Cricket World Cup, I ensure that I invite myself to my Chacha’s place for dinner whenever India is playing a match😊, who also lives in the same locality as I am staying in!!  For the Pakistan match, I have already confirmed my dinner with one of my school friends, who stays nearby!!  And he has asked me to be there from the start of the match!!

Maybe some more of Delhi stuff in my next blog from Delhi!!

Cheers till then!!

Today’s Daffy Definition

Clock Factory – A place where people make faces and hands!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Blog Beginning!!

167. Ramanarayanam Temple, Vizianagaram

1 WhatsAppa Mantras