102. Interview Anecdotes – 2


Those days, in the evenings I used to meet my school friends for a walk in Karol Bagh area market. Since there were no gadgets at those times, roaming with friends was the pastime😊!!    During one of those days, one of my friends, Subbu, told me that his father’s friend is working for a Mumbai-based company in Delhi and was looking for someone who knows computers.  He asked me if I would be interested.  I told him yes and I will be definitely interested.  He then went home and with the help of his father managed to arrange a meeting for me with his father’s friend, the next day.  I never imagined that with this meeting, my career will zoom into the field of financial services industry.  Thanks Subbu, for the intro, without which, I don’t think I would have ever reached the place where I am now in!!

The next day, I went and met the gentleman. He showed me a stock market magazine and asked me if I had seen it any time?  I told him, No.  He then asked me if I knew anything about the stock market?  I told him, No.  He then told me that I would know something about stocks as the newspapers also cover it.  I said yes and told him that in Times of India, just before the sports section, there were 2-3 pages where some company names and numbers were printed.  But I had no idea as to what they meant.  He then asked me if I know how to operate computers.  I said yes and that I can definitely handle them!!  No further questions asked.  This gentleman just trusted his friend whose son was my classmate in the school.  Maybe he thought that if his friend has recommended me, I would have some basic knowledge and would not let him down!!  He then called his Mumbai office and asked them to send the offer letter to me😊!!  And that is how I aced my first successful interview😊😊.  Since it was more of a general talking, rather than a strict interview, I was able to clear it😊😊!!

While I was working there, I used to go to Mumbai for training and other meetings.  During that time, I befriended one colleague in the office there.  After a few months he went and joined a competitor.  They wanted to open office in Delhi and my friend told them about me.  During this time, my company had launched a new version of their software and were conducting a roadshow in Mumbai.  I was also called for that and was made to give demonstration of the new version to prospective clients.  One such demonstration was to a guy who was repeatedly asking pointed questions to me.  It was obvious that he had come from a competitor and was unnecessarily needling me to find out some drawbacks in the software.  I hinted to my immediate boss as to what to do.  He instructed me to go on explaining the product as we don’t have anything to hide and we feel that the product that we had developed is the best.  By this time, a small crowd had gathered around us.  I kept on answering all this guy’s questions without any hitch and ultimately, he got satisfied and had no other queries to ask.  He thanked me and went off.

The same night, my friend called me and asked me to come and meet his MD for a small meeting the next day.  I told him that I am not looking for any new opportunity as of now and am rather happy with where I was.  He convinced me to come and meet and then decide what to do.  So, I went to meet his MD the next day.  We were having a general chat, when the guy to whom I had given demonstration to yesterday, landed in the room😊.  He just told the MD to hire me and accept all my demands, if any😊.  Apparently, he was the Marketing Head of the company and was very impressed by my skills in demonstration and handling people when he saw me in action, the previous day. 

Later on, he met me alone and convinced me as to why I should join them so that both me and the company can progress.  I got convinced and joined the company.  Here too, there was only general talking and nothing sort of an interview, ensuring that I clear it and got offer from them😊😊!!

On coming back to Delhi, I met Subbu and told him that I had got a better offer and he has to help me to inform my current boss about this😊!!  I asked him if it would be ok to accept this offer as his father’s friend had gone out of his way to give me a job.  Subbu said it is ok and he will ask his father to speak to his friend.  Luckily, my boss accepted my resignation and I was able to join the new company.

My stint with this new company was for a period of 5 years, first a 3.5-year stint and then a 1.5- year stint after a break of 1.5 years at another company (actually, another competitor😊).  By the way, this was the first company that I started working for, by starting to work from my home itself😊!  Since the company did not have any office in Delhi, for a month, I was operating from my residence😊!! 

Cheers!!

Today’s Daffy Definition

Committee – A group of the unfit, appointed by the unwilling, to do the unnecessary!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Blog Beginning!!

167. Ramanarayanam Temple, Vizianagaram

1 WhatsAppa Mantras