137. Childhood Reminisces – Unexpected Friends

During my childhood, there were lots of people who would drop in at our house.  These people became friends over a period of time. 

As already informed, my parents were members of Delhi Tamil Sangam library from where we used to get Tamil and English books and magazines.  In those days, many Tamilians would be coming from Chennai and would be working in various government offices or banks.  Many of them would settle in Karol Bagh.  Since there was no other past-times, they all would become members of this library to socialize and also to read Tamil books.

While socializing, they would become friends of my parents.  Most of them would be just some 10-15 years older to me and as was the norm, I used to call them as Annas.  They would be staying all alone in Delhi as their family would be in Chennai or in some other parts of Tamil Nadu.  Usually during evenings, they would come with either of my parents, from the library, to our home for a cup of coffee or sometimes during the weekend for a lunch or dinner.  Those days there was nothing to be done after office other than to read books or to watch TV which used to broadcast for about 4-5 hours in the evening.  Therefore, the main thing was to meet people and spend time talking to them. So, these people used to visit their acquaintances/friends and spend their time. 

Since my parents were friendly with everyone and were quite fond of talking, most of these people loved to visit our house and spend time at our house.  For them, my parents became their parents with whom they can share their issues and talk freely.  Except one such gentleman, we have lost touch with all the others, as all of them have gone back to their hometown, having got another job there.

At first there was a gentleman called Mr Venkatachalam, who was a neighbour, living about 2-3 houses away.  He used to come regularly to our house.  I still have a photo that was taken with him when I was just 2-3 years old.  I still remember, sometimes he would come to our house, just after smoking a cigarette.  My father would scold him and turn him out of the house😊.  He told him that he should come to the house only when he is not smelling of cigarettes.  Many times, this gentleman would ask me if my father was home and if he could come in.  He would be smelling of cigarettes and I will tell him that my father is home and he will go away😊.

Then there were others like Mr Umashankar, Mr Murali, Mr Ramanujam and others whose names I do not recall.  There was one other gentleman named Mr Raman with whom I am still in touch.  He was working in a public sector company and had come from the South.  He used to visit our house very frequently.  He got married in his hometown and brought his wife to Delhi.  He used to drop her at our house while going for office and this lady used to go back to her house in the evening.  I think she was also studying something during those days and she will be bringing books with her to study.  My mother also taught her some Hindi so that she could converse properly with vegetable vendors, conductors and other people😊.

While we have shifted to Hyderabad, they are still in Delhi with Raman Anna working in the same public sector company.  A couple of years back, he had come to Hyderabad for some official work and came to meet us.  Again. last year when I visited Delhi with my daughter, we both had dinner at their house and stayed for the night there. 

You never know how people from different places are destined to meet each other and start their friendship journey.  Although it might not end in a lasting friendship journey, but it feels nice to be able to help them get attuned to the new place and comforting them that someone is there to care for them in the new place.  I believe this was the thought that made my parents befriend so many people and help them getting comfortable in their stay in Delhi during those times.

There are some of my last memories of childhood😊.  Of course, if someone reminds me of something, I might have more of this stuff to blog😊. But as of now, this is the last blog on this subject.

Cheers till next time!!

Today’s Observation

The difference between a man and a woman is that a man will pay two rupees for a one rupee item he wants while a woman will pay one rupee for a two rupee item she doesn’t want😊

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Blog Beginning!!

167. Ramanarayanam Temple, Vizianagaram

1 WhatsAppa Mantras