254. Beware of Fraudulent Messages/Transactions

With almost all our communication being done on mobiles there are many opportunities to get swindled.  As more and more people join the bandwagon, there are a number of people out there who want to get your money.  Nowadays, we are regularly seeing in the news that many people are getting robbed of their money just because they thought easy money could be made or they believe that the message they got in their phone is genuine.  They go ahead and click the link and lose their money.

There are 2 messages that are now floating around.  One message comes from a mobile number saying that you Credit or Debit card is going to expire tonight and your bank account is going to be suspended.  The message also instructs you to click the URL mentioned in the message to make sure that you take suitable action so that it does not get suspended.  Another comes from electricity board mentioning that your electricity bill has not been paid and the connection would be cut the same night.  The message also asks you to click on the URL mentioned in the message or asks you to call a number to clarify it.  Both these messages are phishing messages that tries to see if you are gullible enough to fall for the trick.  If you receive such a message just block the mobile number that it came from.

Sometimes you will receive call from someone who will say that you credit card has been approved for receiving a gift for your continued usage of the card.  They will try to find out which card you are using and accordingly try to get your card details.  You have to simply ask them which bank they are calling from.  Whatever bank they say just say that you don’t have any card from that bank and then disconnect and block the number.

I consider myself to be a tech savvy guy and always spot these kinds of messages/calls and take suitable action.  However, I did fall for such a trick last month.  I will explain it in detail😊!!

I had made a payment to my credit card company through the same way I make the payments, on a 3rd party website – Billdesk.  Unfortunately, this time, while the payment was being done, my laptop’s internet conked off!  I got a message from the bank that my account has been debited.  The credit card website mentioned that there is an issue and the payment has still not been received.  Since the amount was a big one, I thought I would call Billdesk and confirm with them.  I went to the internet and found the number.  However, it was some other site and not Billdesk’s.  I did not check it properly as my mind was focused on the amount involved and not on what I was doing😊!

I called the mobile number.  It rang for a few times and no one picked up the call.   I then searched further on the internet and got the correct site.  There were no options to call them.  Only option was to send them a message stating the problem and then they would respond in 24-48 hours.  I wrote the details in the form and the site issued me a Service Request number.  After an hour or so, I got a call the number that I had called before.  He said that he is calling regarding the call that I had made.  Instead of waiting to hear what else the person was going to say, I asked if he was calling from Billdesk.  He said yes.  I then told him the issue and wanted him to check if they have received my payment. 

He asked for my bank account number from which I had made the transfer for the credit card payment.  Now, no one asks the bank account on phone.  So, I said I will give him the last 4 digits of the account number.  He took it and said I will have to download an app through which he will ensure that the payment is returned back so that I can make the payment again.  At this time, it struck me that I am talking to someone who was a fraud.  I told him that I don’t install any apps on my phone and he will have to give me some other way of resolving this issue.  He said that it is the only way.  I told him that I will not install any app. He then said wait for 15-20 days and the issue will be resolved.  I asked him why this much time.  He said he can reverse the transaction only with the app and otherwise I will have to wait for a long time.  I told him ok and then disconnected the call.

I then rang my bank and asked them if anyone can access my account just by knowing my mobile number and the last 4 digits of my account number.  The bank told me that for any transaction there is an additional SMS sent which has an OTP and without that the transaction will not go through.  I told the bank that the fraudsters can try to duplicate my SIM since they have my mobile number.  The bank gave me an option to block my internet banking facility.  I confirmed and blocked my internet access for a week.  A week later I unblocked it.  So far, no fraudulent activity has happened😊!

This is just to say that you never know when you can be taken for a ride.

Billdesk replied to my mail next stating that they are investigating the issue.  I also got a message from my credit card company that they had received the payment.  So, I was safe😊 and did not have to make the payment again!

Another incident happened in my mother’s account.  She got a SMS on her mobile that Rs 1 has been deposited in her account.  When I checked her bank account, the remarks had a word “PennyDrop” in it.  When I browsed the internet. I found that this is another way of fraud where the fraudster deposits Rs 1 into an account to see if it is a success or not.  If it is a success, he now has your mobile number, your bank’s IFSC code and the account number.  Just with this info, he can try to get access to your account.  I then called the bank and also sent them an email complaint stating what had happened.  I got a reply stating that someone wants to send you money and hence Rs 1 gets transferred and there is no issue.  In case something happens tomorrow, I can always tell them that I had informed them and it is up to them to secure my account. 

Cheers till next time😊!!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Blog Beginning!!

167. Ramanarayanam Temple, Vizianagaram

1 WhatsAppa Mantras