29 Amar Chitra Katha

Amar Chitra Katha – this was one of the most popular words in my dictionary, while growing up!  For those of you, I assume it can be counted on our fingertips, the people who have not heard of this wonderful series of illustrated books, this series is really a Pandora box of everything that you need to know about India in simple English language!! Later on, I came to know the true meaning of the series name, Amar Chitra Katha – Immortal Picture Story or Immortal Captivating Story. 

The entire series run into more than 400 books or titles.  The first publication of Indian stories came from 1969 onwards and was labelled as Issue No 11.  Earlier in 1967, they had reproduced western fairy tales from Issue No 1 to 10.   I am happy to state that I own all the Amar Chitra Katha’s, except 18 titles, which I cannot find even with Amar Chitra Katha (ACK) publishers.  Some issues I paid extra bucks as I purchased them in eBay and Amazon as they are not available anywhere.  A couple of them in Hindi language as English versions are not available.  I wrote to ACK publishers asking about these 18 titles. They said they will let me know in case they publish it in future.

Each book is on a particular story – either about a King, a God, a Demon, a Person, a Place, a Drama, History and other subjects.  The book explains the story in such a captivating manner that you simply fall in love with the drawings and the way the story has been told.  The writing is very simple keeping in mind that children will be reading it.  Each single issue is about 32 pages long and can be finished in about 5-10 minutes, depending on your reading and grasping speed. 

ACK was published continuously till 1991 in the same format and the tried to keep the format same for the next 2 issues in 1998 and 2001.  The formats of the books after that has changed.  I personally did not find the new formats appealing. Maybe I am used to reading the old formats!!

During my childhood, I used to barter ACK’s with other kids for their Archie’s and other comics.  In this process, I lost my ACK collection.  So, once I started earning and could afford a personal library at my home, I ensured that the ACK finds a rightful place in the library!!  Last year when my brother visited me from Indonesia, and saw the collection, he also ordered his collection for his kids and took it with him

ACK also sells the titles as a 3-in-one or a 5-in-one pack so that you can buy 3 or 5 titles together and enjoy them in a bound cover.  In my collection I have the majority of the titles in Single issues, some in 3-in-ones and a couple in 5-in-ones.  My kids have devoured the entire collection once and plan to do so again when they find time.  I too keep reading them as and when I find time.  One of these days, I am going to again read from the first title and try to finish them again.  It is a time well spent and also gives you a brief history of what all have happened before our time!

Happy ACKing!!  Cheers!!

Today’s daffy definition

Politician – A person who shakes your hand before election and your confidence afterwards!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Blog Beginning!!

167. Ramanarayanam Temple, Vizianagaram

1 WhatsAppa Mantras