92. College reminiscences – 4


Our college was well known for getting closed (bandh😊) for various kinds of reasons.  It also depended on who the elected representatives were, in the college.  If anything happened to their people, we enjoyed the bandh in the college and would plan for movies or chilling out!! 

We would come to know about the bandh only after reaching the college.  After coming to college, no one would be thinking of going back home.  So, we would go to a nearby dhabha and look at newspapers as to which movie are running at which theatres!!  Our regular haunt was the Chanakya theatre as that is where all the English movies would shown!!  Other theatres included Priya, Sangam, Plaza, Odeon, Regal, Rivoli etc. etc.!! 

During my initial days in the college, there was an incident.  While coming to the college from the bus stop, I saw a guy who was bleeding from his thigh.  Apparently, he also studied in our college and someone from our college had knifed him!!  He was pointing the knife injury to all the college students who was passing by, asking for help.  Of course, no one wanted to get involved and everyone started to avoid seeing the guy and hurried to the college!!  Fortunately, the injury was not that severe and he started attending the college from the next day!!  That told me about the college that I had selected to study in😊!!

During the first year, in the Computer Science department, there was an election for nomination to the representatives of the Computer Science department in the college.  The posts of President, Vice President and Secretary were reserved for the 2nd and 3rd year students.  Only the Joint Secretary was reserved for 1st year students.  From the 1st year, one girl and myself put in our nominations for the Joint Secretary post.  Now there were more girls than boys in the 1st year😊.  So obviously, the girl would become the winner!!  But there were more boys in the 2nd and 3rd year classes, than the girls😊.  So I became friends with them and ensured that I won the election with the narrowest of margins!!  Of course, nothing came out of being the elected representative in the college.  Only satisfaction on that day that I had won an election😊!!

An interesting incident happened with one of my friends, not Dukku!! This guy got the top marks in Maths in the 1st year of college.  And of course, everyone came to know about it.  “Everyone” included the college ruffian too!!  When the next exam came for Maths, he came and sat behind my friend, even though his roll number was nowhere near my friends’!! The guy told my friend to make sure to show him the answer sheet so that he could copy whatever my friend was writing😊.  My friend did not know what to do!!  He began to ignore the guy and start writing the answers quickly.  Of course, he had to show his paper too to the guy so that he can stop disturbing my friend.   For one question, the guy had the audacity to tell my friend that the answer to that question was 3.  My friend had worked out some other answer.  My friend looked at him and said, “Is it? Ok! You write what you want” and started finishing his paper.  In one hour, with the exam-time being of 3 hours, he completed the paper and ran out of the room!!  He did not stop anywhere. He directly went to the bus stop and headed home!!  Next day when he came to college, he was told that he was lucky not to be in the college after the exam as the guy’s people were looking out for him😊😊

I also won 5th prize in an inter-college quiz competition with one of my colleagues.  And that made the college publish my name in the college Annual Report😊!!
And of course, North Indians making a mess out of South Indian names, were prevalent that time too😊😊!!

With this I have exhausted my recollection on the college life!!  From next week, my office life recollections start😊😊

Cheers!

Today’s Daffy Definition

Television – A device which gives you a headache and also gives you the name of a tablet for your headache!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Blog Beginning!!

167. Ramanarayanam Temple, Vizianagaram

1 WhatsAppa Mantras