116. Penfriendship – A lost relationship mode!!


When I was in my early-20’s, there was a craze for making pen-friends.   For those who do not know this term, it means you make friends with people by writing out to them and then wait for their reply and then write to them again😊.  Yes, yes, I know.  In this age of SMS’s and WhatsApps’, people would be wondering as to how in the world did people have so much free time to do such a thing😊 and also enjoy it!!

During those days, sometime during early 1990’s, the newspaper Observer was launched in Delhi.  During Sundays, it was called the Sunday Observer.  I used to subscribe to that newspaper only on Sundays as they had a column for pen-friends.  The column provided the details like Name, Address and Hobbies of people who wanted to have pen-friendship.  They used to publish this and anyone interested in you can write to you and you can start the pen-friendship with them. I sent in my details and it got published. I did not know that this paper also had a tie-up with Gomantak Times in Goa.  My details were printed in Gomantak Times too.  I started receiving letters from Goa😊!!

One was a girl studying medicine at a Dental College there.  Another 3 girls were locals.  After receiving their letters, I also started interacting with them.  At that time, the usual way of writing letters was, Inland Letters, or to write the letter on a piece of paper and send it in a sealed cover.  I rarely used postcards as anyone would be able to read it😊, including the postman😊.

I don’t remember now as to what all was written😊.  I remember that I had a few letters from that time stored with me.  A couple of years ago, I re-read them and later destroyed it😊. Of course, my wife also got to read the letters😊!!

After a couple of months of interaction with my friends, I decided to visit Goa on a holiday.  I was able to meet three of the girls and we became good friends.  The 4th one was not available.  I roamed around Goa with 2 of the girls.  As it was my first visit to Goa, I was able to visit all the important places.  One of the girls invited me for dinner with her family at her home, as I was staying in a hotel.  During the dinner, I saw that there were some round chips-like side-dish kept on the table.  I started eating those chips as they were very tasty, little realizing what those were.  Suddenly my friend asked me if I liked seafood!! I said no.  She then pointed out that I was eating shrimps that were fried😊!!  Later, in my room at the hotel, at about 2 or 3am, I vomited all the food in the washbasin😊!! You know, some things stuck to you, even after so many years😊😊!!

I also had a friend from Bangalore who used to write about Muslim customs in his letter.  I also had an “aged” friend from Mumbai.  After I met him in Mumbai, he stopped corresponding😊!!  I also had one girl from Australia writing to me.  She asked for my photograph. My friends had suggested me to send some Bollywood hero’s photo to her.  In those days, there was no Google😊. So, it was difficult to confirm if someone was really someone who they are claiming to be, unless you met them personally😊.  But I stuck to my principles and sent my photo😊.  And the correspondence stopped😊!!

I am not in touch with any of my Goa friends now for the past 20-25 years now and I have no idea where they are.  That phase was fun, writing letters, posting it and then waiting for their letters.  That was a phase and I am happy that I was able to participate in that phase.  There was this charm in waiting for a letter.  Not like now where you get instant replies😊.  The writing also helped in improving your handwriting😊.  Since my writing stopped so many years ago, my handwriting has also deteriorated to such an extent that even I am not able to read what I am physically writing nowadays😊!!

Pen-friendship was very helpful as you got to know different people and know their beliefs and customs.  It also told you of the culture of different places, without you having to physically visit those places.  Of course, once you get to know, you can always go and visit.  It also helped you in concentrating as to what to write and how long to write.  Similarly, when you get a letter, you can also appreciate as to how much time the writer would have spent in writing all those things written in that letter😊!!

I don’t think that this phase can come back again as there are lots of other “interruptions” that are available as of now to “supposedly” attract and occupy the present generation mindset.  As with other past experiences, the pen-friendship has completely ceased and now there are other ways to connect to people, but whether those are exiting or you eagerly wait for something, I am not sure😊!!  

Cheers till the next time!!

Today’s Daffy Definition

Lawyer – A person who compels two individuals to strip for a fight and then runs off with their clothes!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Blog Beginning!!

167. Ramanarayanam Temple, Vizianagaram

1 WhatsAppa Mantras