39 - How to Control your Anger

Anger is something that we see almost on a daily basis.  It can come anytime.  During the morning rush while going to office, while in office, coming back from office, or even after coming back home from the office.  For people who don’t go to work, it can come during their interaction with the neighbors, with the vegetable vendors, with the grocery shop salesman/saleswoman or interacting with the family members.

As Ralph Waldo Emerson once said, for every minute you remain angry you give up sixty seconds of peace of mind!!  If we look back at all the instances when we were angry earlier in life, it would seem we were a different kind of animal then!!  What we don’t realise that given the circumstances we will behave the same way as before!!  Until we try to look at the situation in a different way, we will again end up being angry and losing our sixty seconds of happiness.

Anger runs in my family, as it does in every family in this world!!  My father was a very different person when he used to get angry.  Looking at that I have avoided getting angry in my life.  But sometimes, as the genes are so imbibed, it comes out from nowhere and gets me into somewhat difficult situations.  Usually, people get angry when they are young and usually give up their anger once they grow old.  It looks like it is working reverse for me.  I don’t think I was that angry during my school, college or even during my earlier working years.  Only when I have stopped working for others and have started working for myself, has the anger slowly started coming out.  Touchwood, it is only mild anger which lasts for about half a minute or so and loses me the 30 seconds of my peace of mind. 

I have postulated below some of the tips to control your anger. Do try these if you want to get rid of your anger: -

a)   Don’t speak when you are angry.  Take a few seconds/minutes, go out of the room, think about the situation.  Then once you are calm, come back to the room and tell your point in a clear and calm manner without hurting anyone.

b)   Exercise regularly.  In addition to making your body look good, it also reduces stress that can cause anger.

c)   Think about the situation and try to come up with alternate solutions.  This will enable you to put your points succinctly and clear.

d)   Don’t hold grudges against anyone.  This will make your life filled with negativity.  If you have a problem with someone, tell them on their face and let it go.  Don’t tell this when you are angry😊.  Next time you meet them act like the last incident did not happen at all.  If they still remember it, then it is their problem. 

As Buddha is believed to said – You will not be punished for your anger, you will be punished by your anger!!  Cheers!!

Today’s Daffy Definition

Critic – A person who knows the way but can’t drive the car!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Blog Beginning!!

167. Ramanarayanam Temple, Vizianagaram

1 WhatsAppa Mantras