149. More reading options (Tamil books)

I have already covered the topic of reading in the earlier blogs.  Recently I came across another site which offers books for reading.  Nowadays I read only English books, although I have read many Hindi books and one Tamil book. During childhood, I have read many Hindi thriller novels that used to be quite popular those days.  Even though I can still read and write in Hindi, I don’t read Hindi books now as it is quite time consuming.  Reading Tamil, (I can read and write in Tamil too😊), is also quite a tedious affair. I had no other option other than reading a book in Tamil.  I will write in a separate blog about this book.  I listened to the audio of the book for 2 volumes, somehow got the English translations of the next 2 volumes.  The 5th volume, I had to read it in Tamil😊, no other option available.  Somehow, I completed it as the story became so engrossing!!

My mother is a more voracious reader than me.  I have other hobbies like watching movies and serials, in addition to reading.  She has as hobbies, reading Tamil books/novels and playing computer games.  She has some 50GB of computer games that she plays on the computer, in addition to lots of games in her iPad😊.  She also has books downloaded in the computer. 

As already mentioned, I have subscribed to Magzter for her, which provides access to lots of magazines and newspaper and she reads it in her iPad.  I have also got her the Kindle Unlimited subscription.  In this you can read unlimited books in Kindle or iPad or any other Android or PC device, at a price of Rs 169 per month, from Amazon.  There is a cap of downloading 10 books at a time.  Once you have read them, you “return” it back to the site and download another 10 books.  So, every 4-5 days she will inform me that she has read all the books.  I will then download 10 more books after “returning” the old ones.  So, in effect, she reads about 50-60 books a month😊.  Mind you, all these are “free” books that are available from Amazon.  Each book costs a minimum of Rs 100 to 500.  So, reading about 50 books for Rs 169 a month only comes to around Rs 3-3.40 per book!! Much better to read books like these instead of buying it and then giving it to someone or selling them to the kabaadiwaala😊!!

In addition, I also browse through different sites and download Tamil books for her to read. Recently I came across one more site that is offering Tamil books @ Rs 4 per book.  Depending on the scheme you can opt for books @ Rs 4 to Rs 4.50 each.  I have opted for their scheme of Rs 799 for 200 books.  They have a huge list of authors.  Considering the speed in which my mother reads, I think she will finish the 200 count within the next 6 months😊. Their site says they have 393 authors and about 5232 books!! So, at least for the next 1-2 years, I don’t have to search for books for her😊!! The site being www.pustaka.co.in.  You have to read the books with the site’s reader only.  So, my mother reads it on her iPad or on the computer itself. 

Cheers till next time!!

Today’s Observation

There is some consolation in the fact that even if your dreams haven’t come true, neither have your nightmares!

Comments

  1. My mother is also ditto in reading as your mother. My mother says reading not only relaxes you, but also takes your mind off mundane unpleasant matters. Reading is a very good habit, for everyone. Even my father's mother was a voracious reader even at age of 84 with just 40% eyesight in one eye. She was completely blind in the other.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Balaji.. I will subscribe Pustaka.co.inπŸ‘πŸ™

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Blog Beginning!!

167. Ramanarayanam Temple, Vizianagaram

1 WhatsAppa Mantras